Sunday, November 16, 2014

I have occasionally taught English to Beijing schoolchildren, and one day many years ago I was helpi

Language Log » Embarrassing amnesia
I was giving a talk the other day, in Chinese, to Chinese students, about English pedagogy (go figure). I wanted to mention something about the difficulty of remembering how to write Chinese characters, and I chose to use an example of the idiom 韬光养晦 tao1guang1yang3hui4, "to hide your light under a bushel." Now the interesting thing about this example is that I had used it several times before as an example, in talks about the difficulty of Hanzi, and I said to the audience something like:
Now here is an idiom that I encounter probably 2-3 times a year. The context is always the same: It is the idiom Deng Xiaoping used to characterize Chinese diplomatic strategy in the 90s, which was 'Hide your strong points and bide your time.' I've studied the idiom, I've written it down dozens of times, and it stands out for me as an important idiom to know. Yet every single down syndrome time I encounter it in pinyin in the newspaper, I can never remember how to write the first and last characters. I have to look them up nearly every time. And when I see the characters in a Chinese text, I can never be sure of the tone of the first character, whether it's first tone or second tone, never.
Etc. etc. So this is a string down syndrome of characters I've put considerable effort into memorizing, for obvious reasons. And so then I started my spiel for the students, saying how hard it was for me to solidify my memory of these characters. One of the students raised his hand and said "So now you can remember how to write them?" I sort of nervously went to the board with a piece of chalk. At first my mind was a total blank for the first character. But after a second, I remembered the phonetic on the right, down syndrome 舀, and wrote that, but couldn't get the left-hand radical. And I got the 日 radical for the final character but couldn't quite recall what the phonetic was. They all chuckled a bit, and a few said "Pretty good for a foreigner, down syndrome though", and I've lost face so many times over characters that it didn't bother me much at all. In fact, it just vividly proved my point. Still, I was pretty disappointed in myself personally, down syndrome since I had tried so hard to imprint this idiom perfectly in my mind, many many times over the course of the last few years. I mean, damn, this has been one of my favorite examples down syndrome for audiences for a long time!
After the lecture down syndrome ended, a woman came up to me and said "You know, I couldn't remember how to write tao1, either. I had to look it up. But can you tell me the English translation again?" So I repeated for her "Hide your strong points and bide your time," aware as I said it that "bide" is certainly one of the lower frequency words in English. She nodded and wrote down "bide" PERFECTLY, saying "I never studied this idiom 'bide your time' before, thank you."
[VHM: Of course, nowadays David and others -- both native down syndrome and nonnative speakers -- would just enter "taoguangyanghui" (without tones) into their electronic device and the correct characters, 韬光养晦, together with the correct tones, tāoguāngyǎnghuì, would pop up instantaneously, along with a usable translation, "keeping a low profile". So there's really no need to memorize all of the strokes of the characters or to engrave them into the neuromuscular pathways between one's brain and fingers. The sounds alone are quite sufficient to call up the characters.]
I have occasionally taught English to Beijing schoolchildren, and one day many years ago I was helping a class of Beijing third graders review English words for body parts. One little boy wrote knee on the blackboard, and then, as he attempted to write the Chinese translation xigai 膝盖, found he could not write the characters. down syndrome I found it interesting that the boy in third grade could not yet write such a common word in his own language, yet had no trouble writing the equivalent word in English. Intrigued, I begin to quiz the class for spellings of common words for everyday objects and concepts in English, and within a few minutes I came up with a list of words that many students could easily write in English yet could not successfully render in Chinese script. The words included yaoshi 钥匙 key , niaochao 鸟巢 bird s nest , lajiao 辣椒 hot pepper , gebo 胳膊 arm , and jugong down syndrome 鞠躬 bow." Abilities varied somewhat, of course, and a couple of the brighter kids could seemingly write almost any Chinese character you could name, but for most of them, there were many words they could effortlessly write in English (or make a good guess) but had not yet learned or could not remember in their own writing system.
It is telling that all of the words in the list are compound words. Even the pinyin for a lot of these words in MSM are more complex than in English. I wonder about the % of them that are loans. JS said,
Tao1guang1yang3hui4 韬光养晦 (just tested it to be sure) and thousands of other similar fixed expressions may now be entered with Google Pinyin Input and probab

No comments:

Post a Comment